[MPlayer-users] Re: UTF-8 character in titlebar can't be shown

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Nov 27 12:48:50 CET 2006

Muhammad Ichsan wrote:

> On 11/24/06, Muhammad Ichsan <ichsan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear MPlayer lovers,
>>
>> I have a problem in MPlayer rc1 that I can't see UTF-8 characters
>> of the name of my media file in the title bar.
>
> To make it clear, I attach the screen shot while playing ユンナ-houki.avi
> (in UTF-8 characters) which mplayer show only -houki in
> title bar.

Sending image attachments to mailing lists, particularly when not
requested, is rude.

I didn't respond to this before because I figured a) someone else would
probably be more informative than I could and b) there was at least a
small chance I was wrong, but:

Title bar display is the domain of the window manager, not the
application. The only thing the application controls about that is what
it provides to the window manager for display. Since MPlayer prints the
characters to the console just fine, I expect that it would provide the
same characters to the window manager as the name of the window it
opens; if the characters are not displayed correctly in that location,
I'd assume it to be the window manager's fault.

If on the other hand you have examples of other programs which *do*
display UTF-8 non-Latin-equivalent characters in the title bar under the
same window manager, then there is a chance that there's an omission in
MPlayer somewhere - but at least mentioning that there is such a
program, while not very helpful, would have been more useful than
posting an unsolicited and poorly-arranged PNG image of the problem.

For what it's worth: a quick experiment on my end a) confirms that
MPlayer does exhibit the problem on my system (even in near-latest SVN)
and b) the only other programs which I can conveniently cause to attempt
to put Japanese - and, unless my system is more screwed up than I think
it is, UTF-8 - characters in the title bar, Mozilla and qiv, display
gibberish instead of the requested characters (but *do* display
something, rather than nothing).

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.