[MPlayer-users] Mencoder encodes Flash .flv but not .swf ?

Richard Ivarson RicIvarson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 10:17:28 CEST 2006

Hi,

I'm currently trying to encode some raw AVI video to a Flash movie file with
format .swf so it can be played by a Browser (its Flash plugin actually).

Mplayer's User Guide tells me:

End of section 13.1 :
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#menc-feat-selecting-codec

  [..]
  If you selected libavformat to do the muxing of the output file (by using the
  -of lavf), the appropriate container format will be determined by the file
  extension of the output file. You may force a particular container format
  with libavformat's format option.
  [..]
  Example:
  Creating a Macromedia Flash video suitable for playback in a web browser with
  the Macromedia Flash plugin:

  mencoder input.avi -o output.flv -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=56
  -ovc lavc \
  -lavcopts vcodec=flv:vbitrate=500:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3 \
  -srate 22050
[..]
<<

I use that command and indeed get a nice ".flv" file. However, my Winbox
Firefox (1.5) with Flashplayer plugin (v9) can't play that. Just Mplayer can
play it.

I re-read the User Guide's sentence about file ending and changed the above
mencode params to "-o output.swf" but then Mencoder crashes:

  VIDEO CODEC ID: 0
  Writing header...
  [NULL @ 00C29C30]SWF only supports VP6, FLV1 and MJPEG
<<

I'm using "MEncoder Sherpya-r19976-MinGW-4.1.1 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team"
(by Gianluigi & Erik at http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php)

Am I missing something or is it not possible currently with Mencoder to make a
.swf video?
Thanks a lot.

-ric