[MPlayer-users] Total Freeze of Mplayer with one movie

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Oct 1 19:56:52 CEST 2006

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/1/06, Uwe Dippel <udippel at uniten.edu.my> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I have been using Mplayer for all and everything over the years.
>> Now, I find that one particular movie doesn't play. It freezes the whole
>> machine, mouse pointer disappears.
>>
>> And, yes, it does so even after a reboot, 100% reproducible here.
>> I have already mailed the maintainer (I'm on Debian), Christian
>> Marillat, who suggested to look further for help here.
>>
>> As I said, I can boot to xfce or fluxbox, no difference. The moment I start
>> mplayer WalterMoersDerBonker.avi
>> everything goes dead.
>> At times, after some 15-20 seconds, one second or two of audio is
>> audible, but that's it. The screen remains black in any case, and no
>> reaction to keyboard; mouse pointer gone.
>> Christian says it works for him and suggested -v. This is the output:
>
> No proble here with my copy of mplayer (MPlayer dev-SVN-r20004-4.2.0)
>
> Nice clip BTW (though I don't understand german)

It's a little unusual to have such a repeatable problem, but usually
hard crashes are either hardware instability or driver bugs. Normally,
there's nothing mplayer does that can cause a crash, so the real fault
has to be elsewhere.

Try each of the following options and see what crashes and what doesn't.
-nosound
-vo null
-vo x11
-vo gl

Also, check that:
1. you're not overclocking too much
2. your memory is ok and running at the right speed (try memtest86+)
3. your CPU and video card fans are working
4. your CPU and video card aren't too hot

-Corey