[MPlayer-users] Re: DVDNAV questions

Jeremy Hansen jebrhansen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 12:04:19 CEST 2006

> maybe with albeau's new config system in ~/.mplayer/config it's possible
> but I don't really know how to use it. Search in the docs

Good to know. I will have to dig through them.

> Tomas wrote that adding -nocache solved his problems, as I already knew :)
> Not so for you?

I was just in the process of writing the following when I recieved
your last email.

OK I just checked with the nocache option, and it now shows on the osd
the button number.

I tried this with The Forgotten. When I selected play movie, it went
to the screen to select the original movie, or the one with alternate
endings. After a couple of seconds it starts changing screens and will
go to one with a foreign language (english is my primary and it looked
like russian but I am not sure), then it goes back to the screen to
select which version. If I am quick I can select which version I want
and it will play normally.

2 more things...

One, so far the three movies I have tried (Matrix Reloaded, The
Forgotten, and  Enemy at the Gates all US released) the main menus
have been in 4:3 mode, but any videos have been in 16:9. I am puzzled
by this unless it is needed for the dvdnav.

Two, in The Forgotten, the dvd has previews on it before the movie
plays so I was trying to skip past them. It seems like whether a
pressed the right or up arrow (right 10sec up 1min) it would skip
about 5 sec and dump this in the console.

libdvdnav: Error when seeking
libdvdnav: FIXME: Implement seeking to location 0
dvdnav_stream, seeking to 23736320 failed: Error when seeking.

I figured since it had the FIXME in it I would post just to make sure.
It doesn't bother me too bad, but it would be nice to skip past the
previews easier.

And if this seems like I am being nitpicky, well I guess I kinda am,
but I just love mplayer for playing videos, and I would like to see
the same quality for dvd's so this can become my one and only video
player in linux (and possibly windows). Hopefully others too.