[MPlayer-users] convert 8GB DVD to 4GB DVD

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Oct 9 20:18:15 CEST 2006

On Monday, 09 October 2006 at 19:47, Noah Spurrier wrote:

> I have a bunch of 4GB DVD disks (single layer). I was thinking that
> it should it easy to convert some 8GB DVD images I have down to 4GB.
> I mount an image and then converted each VOB to a VOB with lower
> vbitrate and abitrate. I kept all the original .BUP and .IFO files.
> I thought this would be quick and dirty:
>     mencoder VTS_01_1.VOB -o /tmp/VTS_01.VOB -oac lavc -ovc lavc \
>     -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=128:vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=3000

Didn't you notice the BIG FAT WARNING telling you that the default
container format is AVI? Slapping a .vob extension onto an AVI file
doesn't magically turn it into MPEG.

[...]
> So, either the BUP and IFO files are somehow dependent on the
> original VOB files or I'm completely wrong headed about all this.

You're replacing MPEG files with AVIs. It cannot work. Aside from
recompressing video, you need to remux the subtitle streams, too.
MEncoder cannot do this currently. You need additional tools for that.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/