[MPlayer-users] Re: MPlayer-users Digest, Vol 34, Issue 33 topic 6

f3m0nk3y fm0nk3y at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 12:18:00 CEST 2006

> On 10/12/06, tristan clarke <clarkebro at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm running a 64bit and have stream that from looking at the output seems
> > to be playing wmv9 but with ffmpeg and not the the 32codecs.
> >
> > Researching on the internet seems to bring up some confusion some posts
> > imply that 32codecs dont run on the 64bit some posts say that 32bit
> > software will run on 64bit could someone clarify this for me please.
>
> Both are correct.
>
> On a 64 bits environment, you can run both 32 bits and 64 bits
> APPLICATIONS. A 64 bits application can only link against 64bits libraries
> (such as codecs), likewise, 32 bits application can only link against
> 32bits libraries.
> It's true that in theory, it's possible to write wrappers to use
> 32bits libs in a 64bits application, but I don't think it's worth the
> trouble in most cases.
>
> > As it doesn't seem to be using the 32bit codecs is the only way to
> > install the 32bit mplayer?
> >
> > Requested video codec family [wmv9dmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
> > Enable it at compilation.
> > Requested video codec family [wmvdmo] (vfm=dmo) not available.
> > Enable it at compilation.
> > Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
> > [wmv3 @ 0xcbfc90]Header: 4E491A01
> > Selected video codec: [ffwmv3] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg M$ WMV3/WMV9)
>
> wmv3 is supported natively by MPlayer since Kostya wrote a decoder
> this summer thanks to Google Summer Of Code.
>
> Guillaume
Same person soz changed accs last night.

Thanks for the reply.
So I guess the reason why some play some don't is down to the codecs which
means a 32bit rebuild or will I have the same problem with some wmv3
playback.
Am I right is it down to the codecs as wmv3/wmv9 is normally asf which means
it's likely to contain other formats. I'm still left a little confused why
some play some don't but as you said natively I guess its down to the code.

I also suspect now the reason for not being able to play indeo 5 is because
really the codecs don't exist on 64bit, though installed and looked for.