[MPlayer-users] How to run mplayer/mencoder *quickly* for storyboarding?

Dan A. Dickey dan.dickey at savvis.net
Thu Oct 12 14:22:34 CEST 2006

Hi,
I've been using mplayer to create storyboard's for a video like this:
	mplayer -really-quiet -nosound -vo pnm:ppm:outdir=./tmp -vf
framestep=i60,scale:96:72 thevideofile.mpg

And it's been working pretty well, generating a bunch of ppm images
every 2 seconds in the video.  However, I just realized that it is exactly
that - they are being generated every 2 seconds - time wise.  That's fine
actually, and not the problem.  The problem is when I use a video that is
15 minutes long, then the conversion to ppm images takes 15 minutes
just as if mplayer was playing the video to a display.  Is there a way to
tell mplayer to *go fast* and not slow down?  Or is there a way to get
mencoder to perhaps do some portion of the work and then have mplayer
generate the images?  Any help would be much appreciated...  Thanks!
	-Dan

--
Dan A. Dickey
dan.dickey at savvis.net