[MPlayer-users] Getting raw audio dumps of each AC3 track

Richard Bromley rbromley256 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 21:48:05 CEST 2006

Hello. I have a video with 5.1 Dolby Digital (AC3) sound. I want to
use mplayer or mencoder to output raw audio (pcm) files for each of
the 6 tracks. That is, I want one raw audio file for the left track,
one for the center track, etc.

I have tried using audio filters as in the following. This is intended
to write the first track...

mencoder -af pan=1:1:0:0:0:0:0,format=s16le -oac pcm -of rawaudio -ovc
frameno foo.avi -o 1.raw

and this to write the second track...

mencoder -af pan=1:0:1:0:0:0:0,format=s16le -oac pcm -of rawaudio -ovc
frameno foo.avi -o 1.raw

and so on. In this way I obtain six raw audio files, but only the
first two contain sound; the rest, silence. Obviously my solution is
incorrect; can someone correct it or provide a better method
altogether? Help is as always appreciated.