[MPlayer-users] AC3 trouble with mencoder's avi and DVP 642

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed Oct 18 22:05:30 CEST 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 01:21:03PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 12:05:00 -0400
> Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu> wrote:
>
> > In case of -of lavf the fourcc is always set to FMP4 completly
> > ignoring the option -ffourcc.
> > So I could not test with the DVP 642 the avi made with -of lavf
>
> If you have a hex editor lying around, it's pretty easy to fix that.
> The fourcc (FMP4) just needs to be changed in two places in the first
> few bytes of the file.

Done. The resulting avi file plays without desync on the DVP 642.

So the lavf muxer apparently does a better job than the standard avi muxer, but
it has the following limitations:
it does not support b-frames and none of the following options seems
to work: -ffourcc, -info, -noodml.

Questions.
Can the standard avi muxer be fixed?
Will the lavf muxer support the missing features?

Giacomo