[MPlayer-users] some nasty bugs about MPlayer

chattoimprove chattoimprove at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 20 20:34:21 CEST 2006

Hi there,

I'd like to report some nasty bugs about MPlayer when playing videos with
subtitles:

1. sometimes i came across some .vobsub subtitle problem, some part of the
.vobsub subtitles won't display with MPlayer, but it is ok if we play the
movie with Windows Media Player
.
for example, the following .vobsub subtitles:

http://download.yousendit.com/C2802EF255118134

one .vobsub subtitles, before 00:21:34.160 is ok, could be shown on screen
with MPlayer, but after 00:21:34.160, the rest of the subtitles won't
display on screen, but it's ok if we play the movie with Windows Media
Player, all the subtitles will display on screen.

another .vobsub subtitles, before 00:43:39.844 is ok, but after
00:43:39.844, the rest of the subtitles won't display on screen, and again,
it's ok if we play the movie with Windows Media Player, all the subtitles
will display on screen.

Furthermore,
when using .vobsub subtitles, when the time code of the FIRST subtitle is
negative (usually, the time code of first subtitle is positive, but
sometimes it's negative somehow), then all the time codes of the whole
.vobsub subtitles are wrong, are out of sync with the video if you play the
video with MPlayer, however, there is no problem if you play the video with
Window Media Player, all the time codes are correct, in sync with the video.

below is the link of a .vobsub subtitle whose first time code is negative,
and all the time codes go awry with MPlayer.

http://download.yousendit.com/F7851A047E45FD50

or maybe you could try one of the .vobsub on your PC, adjusting the first
time code to be negative with all the other time codes remained the same,
and play it with MPlayer to see if they are in sync with the video or not.

Last but not the least, THANKS to all the MPlayer developers for their hard
work!!!  You guys created one of the best applications ever!

Regards.