[MPlayer-users] mms playback don't work anymore

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Oct 24 03:57:21 CEST 2006

Hans du Plooy wrote:

> I used to listen to a radio station that was broadcasting on AM only,
>  and I used the stream when reception is too bad.  They've been on FM
> for a while now, but transmitter seems to be down tonight and I'm
> having really bad reception.
>
> This is the command:
>
> mplayer -playlist mms://196.35.64.36/702_16?WMThinning=0
>
> And this is the output:
>
> MPlayer dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.0 (C) 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

Oh, what a giveaway.

> CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile ML-34                  (Family: 15, Model:
> 36, Stepping: 2)
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
> Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
>

> STREAM_ASF, URL: mms://196.35.64.36/702_16?WMThinning=0
> Resolving 196.35.64.36 for AF_INET6...
> Couldn't resolve name for AF_INET6: 196.35.64.36
> Connecting to server 196.35.64.36[196.35.64.36]: 1755...
> Connected
> unknown object
> unknown object
> unknown object
> file object, packet length = 775 (775)
> unknown object
> stream object, stream ID: 1
> unknown object
> data object
> mmst packet_length = 775
> Cache size set to 64 KBytes
>
> ....and then it just hangs there.

If you run MPlayer with -v, you see that the hang happens immediately
after it begins attempting to parse the playlist. Curiously enough, I
get ~15-20K/second of downstream transfer from this, so data is being
received even if it isn't producing anything audible.

> I'm using the latest MPlayer build from packman on SUSE 10.1.

Third-party packages are not generally supported on these mailing lists
(and AFAIR there are no first-party packages, unless you count the RPMs
provided by one of the developers on his own time). Comments from random
other users are the best you can really expect.

Building from source is always recommended. Building from the latest
development source is usually recommended. (At least for this project -
for some projects it is very much NOT recommended.)

In any case, a new release came out literally yesterday, so even if you
are not willing to obtain the SVN source tree to compile that, getting
your hands on reasonably up-to-date source should not be terribly
difficult.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.