[MPlayer-users] How do I know if video has B-frames?

Andrew Mahone andrew.mahone at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 09:21:46 CEST 2006

On 10/25/06, John Brown <johnbrown105 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I see that to use -lavfopts, I have to
> certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_contain_b_frames.
>
> I do not even know what a B-frame is. How can I tell if the video stream
> contains B-frames?

If you're using -ovc copy, you probably can't easily determine if
there are B-frames in your stream. If you are encoding, see the
options for the video encoder you're using to find out how to tell it
not to produce any B-frames. However, it should be noted that using
B-frames can improve your quality/bitrate, so you might be better off
using a less experimental muxer, and then using another tool to
convert the resulting file to the format you need.
--
Andrew Mahone
andrew DOT mahone AT gmail DOT com