[SPAM DETECT] Re: [MPlayer-users] How to change subtitles color

Evgeniy Stepanov eugeni.stepanov at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 00:09:39 CEST 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 01:49, Pepe wrote:
> > this is what i've noticed:
> >  - when using normal txt subtitles (.sub,.srt) i can change color with
> > -ass-color and -ass-border-color options
> >  - when using .ssa subtitles, using -ass option makes mplayer reading
> > the font properties from .ssa file, but it disregards -ass-color and
> > -ass-border-color options; without -ass option, subtitles are white.
> >
> > so, if you want to have colored subtitles, either use .sub, .srt...
> > with -ass -ass-color and -ass-border-color, or use .ssa subtitles with
> > -ass and change the color in .ssa file.

Right. SSA subtitles already have color information, so -ass-color is ignored
for them. You can still change their color with this option:
-ass-force-style PrimaryColour=HAABBGGRR

> Works!
>
> But the font it uses is not the one I selected with -font, why?
> There's this message in the output:
> fontconfig: selected font family is not the requested one: 'Verdana' !=
> 'Sans'

When compiled with fontconfig support, SSA/ASS renderer can only select fonts
via fontconfig. This means you can't specify exact font file, but have to use
something like this:
-fontconfig -font Arial

If you need the exact font file, I suggest discovering its family with ftview,
placing it in .mplayer/fonts directory, and using the aforementioned options.