[MPlayer-users] Newbie Blank space question

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Oct 28 18:24:50 CEST 2006

briencrean at eircom.net wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Im new to using MPlayer. I am using the command line version on
> windows and have a quick question.
>
> When trying to play a file with a space in the filename;
>
> eg. mplayer test movie.avi
>
> Do I need to specify a reserved character for the blank space in
> order to play the file?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "reserved" - but yes, you do need
to indicate that the space does not represent a break between tokens.

In bash, this can be done either by escaping the space (with a
backslash, i.e. 'mplayer test\ movie.avi') or by quoting the filename
(i.e. 'mplayer "test movie.avi"'). I believe that the latter also works
in Windows' 'cmd.exe' shell.

Have you tried tab completion - that is, type 'mplayer test' and then
hit Tab to expand the filename? It's a very useful feature, and IIRC
it's present at least in WinXP's cmd.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.