[MPlayer-users] Re: [BUG] Wrong audio channel mapping when playing WMV3/WMVHD files

Frank Aurich fa859178 at inf.tu-dresden.de
Sun Oct 29 21:09:21 CET 2006

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 October 2006 at 17:27, Frank Aurich wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> When playing some (most) of the WMV-HD files provided at
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx,
>> Mplayer doesn't get the channel order of the 6ch audio right.
>> The voice track is mapped to rear left (I wasn't able to figure out the
>> mapping of the other channels).
>>
>> I tested these samples:
>>
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/1/c/61ca6316-a44f-46ef-9e8c-074c3dd813c0/To_The_Limit_720.exe
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/9/d/09d051c4-decc-4d39-9c57-f520187213a1/Amazing_Caves_720.exe
>> http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/0/9/20907788-993F-4EF6-8D75-F0DD93207FB8/AdrenalineRush_720.exe
>> This file was particularily interesting: When playing in Mplayer, I heard a
>> french voice from rear left.
>> When using Media Player Classic, an English person spoke from the center.
>> AFAICT, the video has only one audio track.
>
> Yes, this is a known problem, but AFAIK the maintainer of the code doesn't
> have a 5.1 speaker setup. It would help if you could find the correct
> mapping, for example using -af channels.
>
> Regards,
> R.

I did some digging and found the WMA channel mapping to be (supposedly):

FL FR C LFE SL SR

Mplayer expects:

FL FR SL SR C LFE

so for the correct mapping, one needs to use the following command:

-af channels=6:6:0:0:1:1:2:4:3:5:4:2:5:3

I tested this with the videos mentioned before and it seems correct now.

Of course, with these nature videos you can't be 100% sure as the rear speakers
or the LFE are barely used.

Where would this have to be included in the source code of Mplayer?

Frank