[MPlayer-users] Re: [BUG] Wrong audio channel mapping when playing WMV3/WMVHD files

Frank Aurich fa859178 at inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Oct 31 15:15:46 CET 2006

Corey Hickey wrote:
> Frank Aurich wrote:
>> Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

>>> Yes, this is a known problem, but AFAIK the maintainer of the code doesn't
>>> have a 5.1 speaker setup. It would help if you could find the correct
>>> mapping, for example using -af channels.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> R.
>>>
>> I did some digging and found the WMA channel mapping to be (supposedly):
>>
>> FL FR C LFE SL SR
>
> Did you find this in some documentation somewhere? If so, can you send a
> URL? It would be useful for adding support for remapping other
> configurations, such as 5.0 and 4.0.
>
> -Corey

I found this tool on Microsofts website:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=49A52710-78C1-4CB4-B94F-682E338062CC&displaylang=en
Microsoft Windows Media Audio 9 Professional Channel Mask Mapping Tool

It's in-built helpfile lists these mappings:

4.0: FL FR BL BR
4.0: FL FR SL SR
5.0: FL FR C BL BR
5.1: FL FR C LFE BL BR
5.1: FL FR C LFE SL SR
6.1: FL FR C LFE BL BR BC
7.1: FL FR C LFE BL BR SL SR
7.1: FL FR C LFE BL BR FLOC FROC

I'm not really sure what the difference is between BL/BR (back left/right) and
SL/SR (surround left/right).

Hope that helps.

Frank