[MPlayer-users] Mplayer + fontconfig + M$Win

John Brown johnbrown105 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 31 15:53:01 CET 2006

>Victor Farias wrote:
>
>John Brown wrote:
>
>>I will try it as soon as I get home. Do you know why fontconfig, etc. have
>>to be shared libraries?
>
>It was the only way I could find to compile MPlayer with fontconfig support
>under Windows.

Actually, I succeeded in compiling fontconfig as a static library. It
seemd that it was not working because:

1) Although MPlayer's configure detected fontconfig,
#undef HAVE_FONTCONFIG was in config.h. I changed it to
#define HAVE_FONTCONFIG and I had to manually set
FONTCONFIG_LIB = -lfontconfig -lexpat -lfreetype -lz

2) I used the wrong command line. I left out the -fontconfig.

So now everything works, except that there is a long delay
each time that I run MPlayer. The link that you posted says
something about this, so I will look into it when I get home.

>I almost forgot about this... You need to apply the attached patch to avoid
>an error while compiling fontconfig.

Some versions of freetype that I tried had
#include FT_INTERNAL_OBJECTS_H.
Version 2.1.8 does not, so no patch was necessary.