[MPlayer-users] Re: [BUG] Wrong audio channel mapping when playing WMV3/WMVHD files

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Oct 31 21:38:37 CET 2006

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
>>> I'm not really sure what the difference is between BL/BR (back left/right) and
>>> SL/SR (surround left/right).
>> I think it's (usually) approximately like this for 7 speakers:
>>
>>    FL   C   FR
>>

>>  SL     X     SR
>>

>>    BL      BR
>>

>> ...and like this for 5 speakers:
>>
>>    FL   C   FR

>>    SL       SR
>>

>> ...where 5.x setups often have the surround speakers a little rearward.
>
> I'm not sure if you aren't mixing SL/R with BL/R. I've always thought
> that 5.1 was:
>
> FL   C   FR
>     LFE

> BL       BR

I think with 5.x the distinction between BL/BR and SL/SR is mostly just
a matter of terminology, whereas with 7.x the surround speakers are
always more or less directly to the left and right, and the rear
speakers are always farther back.

I'm not really familiar with more than two speakers, though, so I could
be wrong.

-Corey