[MPlayer-users] Problem dumping live rtsp stream

Marko Pipan marko.pipan at marand.si
Wed Sep 6 11:16:52 CEST 2006

Hi,

I need to create a thumbnail image from a live rtsp stream. The idea is
to create a video file using mplayer and
then use ffmpeg to create frame images from the movie.

The problem is that I can't produce a working video file. I start
mplayer with

    mplayer -dumpstream rtsp://localhost/vlc-h263.sdp
and I receive a "Cannot dump this stream - no file descriptor
available." error. There are no problems just
playing the rtsp stream.

I have also tried to create a video using mencoder with

    mencoder -o file.dump -ovc raw rtsp://localhost/vlc-h263.sdp
using various available codecs, but the produced file could not be read
by any video player or ffmpeg.

I am using darwin as rtsp server.

regards,
Marko