[MPlayer-users] mplayer unable to dump file

Ambrosius Nihilo evaristegalois at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 6 23:36:54 CEST 2006

Dear All,

I am trying to record off of a radio stream (for example Austrian Public
Radio).

The command

mplayer -noframedrop -dumpfile /home/my-directory/sound-file.ram -dumpstream
mms://stream4.orf.at/oe1-wort

does the trick beautifully on my old computer.

However, on my new computer where I installed mplayer via Debian (Ubuntu
Linux Dapper) as opposed to from source (my old computer) [I ran into
difficulties doing it by hand on my new computer, so I'd rather not
re-install from source], the same command does not work and produces the
following error message:

Stream not seekable!
Cannot open dump file.

mplayer works fine otherwise, and the command

mplayer mms://stream4.orf.at/oe1-wort

plays back Austrian Public Radio without a hitch. Could anyone help, please?

Stefan
(Vancouver, Canada)