[MPlayer-users] Optimization for a slow CPU

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 10:23:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 9/7/06, Grant <emailgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Celeron 700 with 192MB.  I just bought a brand new Lite-On
> DVD burner from newegg.com and luckily it is watchable with -cache and
> -framedrop.  It's pretty choppy though and if I don't use -framedrop
> the sound cuts out after a couple seconds and it's really slow.  The
> picture quality is also kind of mushy.  Is there anything I can do to
> make it play smoothly and clean up the picture quality?  Here's the
> command I'm using:
>
> mplayer -cache 8192 -framedrop -dvd-device /dev/dvd dvd://1

In case you haven't checked, you should make sure that you have
activated DMA on your drive (check with hdparm)

A celeron 700 should be more than enough for watching DVD, and
probably most MPEG4-ASP (DivX) too.

Guillaume
--
With DADVSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DADVSI), France finally has
a lead on USA on selling out individuals right to corporations!