[MPlayer-users] Optimization for a slow CPU

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 18:35:46 CEST 2006

> > I have a Celeron 700 with 192MB.
>
> >  Is there anything I can do to make it play smoothly and clean up the
> >  picture quality?
>
> There's a lot you can potentially do, but you haven't given much info on
> your system.

My motherboard is an i810e with onboard video.  Is there any other
info that would help?

> Try different -vo devices.  Compile with gcc 2.95.x or 4.x.  -nortc may
> speed things up.  -nocache will be faster than any cache value.  etc.

-nocache is a HUGE improvement.  If I don't use -framedrop though, the
audio cuts out after a few minutes and the video stops after a few
minutes more. I get the "Your system is too SLOW to play this" message
and some "too many video packets in the buffer" and "too many audio
packets in the buffer" messages.

Why wouldn't everyone use -framedrop though?  It seems like if the
system has enough resources it won't drop any frames, and if it runs
low, dropped frames are better than stopped audio and/or video.

- Grant