[MPlayer-users] Optimization for a slow CPU

Grant emailgrant at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 21:29:27 CEST 2006

> > In case you haven't checked, you should make sure that you have
> > activated DMA on your drive (check with hdparm)
>
> I'm actually getting this error when hdparm tries to set DMA on
> /dev/hdc at boot:
>
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>
> How can I investigate that?
>
> - Grant

Ok, I've fixed the DMA problem by enabling an extra kernel option.
DMA is now definitely enabled on my DVD player.  The current situation
is:

1. audio and video no longer cut out without -framedrop, but they are
very out of sync with each other

2. -framedrop results in the audio and video in sync, but the playback
is pretty jerky

3. I still have the problem with horizontal lines around the edges
that I started a separate thread about

- Grant