[MPlayer-users] Optimization for a slow CPU

john znuck wlwireless at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 11 05:49:18 CEST 2006

I have been having sound ending prematurely or out of sunc with fullscreen video for a while now. following this read, I check on my mtrr setting and found that there was none for video ram. Following the instructions from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/mtrr.html, now I can watch fullscreen video with proper sound.

Thks a lot, folks.

jz

Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote: On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 09:23:13AM -0700, Grant wrote:

> >> In case you haven't checked, you should make sure that you have
> >> activated DMA on your drive (check with hdparm)
> >>
> >> A celeron 700 should be more than enough for watching DVD, and
> >> probably most MPEG4-ASP (DivX) too.
> >
> >For reference, my celeron 366 is plenty fast to play DVD and
> >mpeg4-asp. If a celeron 700 can't do it then the user has serious
> >configuration problems.
>
> What command do you use to run mplayer?

I use vidix vo driver on my celeron 366 laptop which has ATI Rage
Mobility vid card. Command line is just the -vo xvidix or cvidix,
otherwise defaults. -vo xv is not that much slower but with just 366 I
need all the performance I can get on that machine.

> What kind of a
> misconfiguration could I have?

Missing MTRR's, slow DVD drive (DMA problems, irq masking, ...) ...?

Rich