[MPlayer-users] Mplayer breaks DPMS in Xorg 7.1.1

Pierce Ward pierceward at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 03:36:51 CEST 2006

Hi everyone,

Since updating to Xorg 7.1.1 I have noticed that my DPMS settings have been
acting strange. Sometimes the monitor would turn off, and other times it
would not. I believe I have narrowed this down to a bug in Mplayer and how
it prevents the monitor being turned off while watching something (Which has
worked great in all previous versions of Xorg [<=X 7.0]).

A simple test case is the following:

run the command:
"xset dpms 5" (This will turn the monitor off after 5 seconds of inactivity)

Then open a file with mplayer. If you close mplayer without waiting 5
seconds, DPMS will continue to work. However if you idle for 5 seconds and
allow Xorg (I'm assuming) to attempt to turn off the monitor, DPMS is
disabled and the monitor will no longer turn off (once you close mplayer).

If it helps my system is as follows:
Gentoo amd64 2006.1 profile,  GCC 4.1.1, Xorg 7.1.1 and mplayer 1.0_pre8.
Sorry if this has since been fixed in the CVS but I have been unable to find
any mention of it in the mailing list archives.

Regards,