[MPlayer-users] MPEG 4 Studio Profile

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Sep 14 18:00:53 CEST 2006

George Dickey wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to use mplayer to decode MPEG4 Studio Profile video.
>
> Does anyone know if there is currently a decoder available for mplayer?

This is the first time I've ever heard of it, so I would guess not. The
true test, of course, would be to play such a file and see what happens.

> If there isn't and I need to write my own, could someone please point
> me to a guide to interfacing with mplayer?

MPlayer uses the MPEG-4 decoder from libavcodec (part of ffmpeg), so the
best thing to do would be to extend libavcodec to handle studio profile.
Take a look at the source code, particularly libavcodec/mpegvideo.c.
Subscribe to the ffmpeg-devel mailing list; if you ask clear questions
there, you have a good chance of being answered.

Note that encoding support would be welcome, too.

-Corey