[MPlayer-users] TV recording: audio faster than video (drifts)!?

Christian Niederreiter cndg at gmx.net
Sun Sep 17 14:29:52 CEST 2006

Hi,

I use an analog TV card to record TV and usually invoke MEncoder as follows:
mencoder tv://S11 -tv driver=v4l2:width=200:height=150:normid=0 -ovc lavc -oac lavc -o tv.avi
Audio is provided via the sound card.

This works fine, except that during playback (with any player, not solely MPlayer) audio plays faster than video (3 seconds/hour). One might say that's due to hardware issues (maybe the sound driver is buggy) but I found out that transcode is able to correct that drift without any additional option!? I just launched it that way
transcode -x mplayer -y xvid4 -i tv.avi -o tv-sync.avi
and the drift disappeared in tv-sync.avi. How could Transcode know how to remove the drift? How could I achieve this using solely MEncoder?

I hope someone could help me.

Best regards, cn

(p.s.: I am a mailing list newbie, please forgive me for possible mistakes ;-) )