[MPlayer-users] Convert NTSC to PAL for DVD

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Sep 18 17:44:00 CEST 2006

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:13:16 +0200
Hans du Plooy <koffiejunkielistlurker at koffiejunkie.za.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-09-09 at 22:33 -0700, RC wrote:
> > You also need to change the resolution to 720x576 with -vf scale.
> > Be sure and set the "interlaced" flag.
>
> I'm a bit confused.  I don't find an "interlaced" flag in the man
> page. Only "ildct" and "ilme" under -lavcopts.

The "interlaced" flag TO -vf scale.  Presumably, the video is
interlaced, and scaling like normal (progressive) video will just
destroy the picture.

But yes, you'll want ildct and ilme as well.

> Is there a way to smooth the judder?

Like any math problem... 25 just doesn't go into 30.

Professionally converted videos commonly ghost/motion-blur the fields to
smooth the motion of the video, but the quality suffers, and I don't
believe mencoder has any way of doing that, though I can imagine
modifying something like tinterlaced (and using pp=lb) could make that
work.