[MPlayer-users] Upconverting?

Mon Sep 18 17:45:54 CEST 2006

Hi Grant!

 On 2006.09.18 at 07:56:09 -0700, Grant wrote next:

> I've read that some consumer DVD players can "upconvert" the
> resolution of DVDs to HD resolutions, and people are reporting that
> this is improving the picure quality.  Can mplayer do that?

It depends on what exactly are you trying to get. "improving picture
quality" is such a vague phrase.. For example, I'm sure that some of
mplayer's filters can improve picture quality even more.

To take a wild guess, these players are using some kind of sharpening
upscaling filter.  You can do that with mplayer, but scaling to HD
resolution will eat a lot of cpu power. See -sws option and its
suboptions for that.

On the other hand, you can just use unsharp filter without upscaling.
Results won't be that nice, but still okay usually.

If you want something else, then try explaining what kind of improvement
are you waiting for. I can't think of other general "quality
improvement" methods that most of people would like other than making
picture sharper and making colors more bright and vivid, but the latter
has nothing to do with scaling and resolution.

--

Vladimir