[MPlayer-users] Issues with multipart mms/http streams for WMV9 media (Re: Bug in ASF codec ?)

Christian Tsotras 7070 at free.fr
Tue Sep 19 07:56:05 CEST 2006

On Saturday 16 September 2006 01:35, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> Christian Tsotras wrote:
> > Looks like WMV9 mplayer's plugin is not compatible with Microsoft's
> > proprietary protocol.
> > No possibility to solve this ?
>
> Let me make this more clear, as I looked at it as a problem with
> mplayerplug-in...
>
> I believe what Christian is saying is that mplayer has issues with
> multipart mms/http streams for WMV9 media.

Yes, this is precisely the problem.
And I have it when I use mplayer directly, not mplayerplug-in.

Unfortunately, no developer seems interested in this issue ...
If I can't find any solution in this mailing list, how could I find
elsewhere ?

By the way, here is your detailed explanation, for future reference:

> The following command
> mplayer http://wms1.earthcam.com/times?MSWMExt=.asf
>
> Which if retrieve via http is a reference file to itself
> [Reference]
> Ref1=http://wms1.earthcam.com/times?MSWMExt=.asf
> Ref2=http://65.200.140.51:80/times?MSWMExt=.asf
>
> The second one is the same media.
> Even switching the url to an mms form does not change the results.
>
> Plays the splash logo just fine (as does mplayerplug-in). But I believe
> Christian states that after this logo, a real time stream should occur.
> (I don't have Windows so I can't check). Mplayer does not appear to
> recognize this secondary stream and so therefore the media is failing.
>
> I took a look at the parent site, and I am interested to see the path to
> that media file, perhaps there is some javascript or some other garbage
> that is telling it to switch streams.
>
> This appears to be the website where it came from
> http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/index.php?cam=streaming
>
> And while it a flash/javascript/Windows Media player mess,
> mplayerplug-in appears to be getting the right url to play.

Thanks for any help.

--
Christian Tsotras - http://www.photo.net/photos/cts