[MPlayer-users] IS SMP support for X264 decoding possible

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Sep 19 18:57:59 CEST 2006

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 11:18:18AM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Rich Felker!

> > > Well, there's no reason that MPlayer still can't take advantage of
> > > some SMP stuff. For example: decoding audio on the second core, or
> > > applying any filters using the second core.
> >
> > The reason is that it's slower except on SMP, impossible to debug, and
> > just ugly.
>
> Well, dual-core cpus rock modern desktops, and soon four-core desktops
> cpus will come both from intel and amd... /me thinks argument about
> beeing "faster" without threads doesn't apply anymore..

And I think you're full of it. Unlike idiot windows gamer kiddies, we
do not assume everyone buys a new computer every year or even every 10
years. 366 mhz is the baseline system for playing dvd now and, the
lower we can move the baseline for playing h264, the better.

Also multi-core is just idiotic. It wastes power. The smartest use of
a multicore system (aside from leaving it on the shelf) is leaving all
but one core idle.

Rich