[MPlayer-users] playing double layer dvd with external subtitles

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Wed Sep 20 17:51:21 CEST 2006

Petr Vopalensky wrote:
> hi *,
>
> i would like to play dvd with my own subtitles
>
> mplayer dvd://1 -alang en -sub my_sub.srt
>
> but there is some problem with double layer dvds because when mplayer
> starts to read from second layer counters are reset and subtitles are
> starting from beginning :-(
>
> is there some way to fix/work around it?
>
> i use current svn version of mplayer
>
> 	thank you,, petr

This does not have to do with double layer, but simply the timestamps in
the mpeg stream. even a 5 minute movie you can reset the timestamp ever
ten seconds if you want.

Finding out the correct length of the MPEG video and the current
timestamp/filepos correlation is not doable without first scanning the
entire file (or using some obscure helping mechanisms -> summing up the
chapter run length, or what ever else...)

Half (or more) a year ago there was already a discussion here about this
issue.

Subtitlewise one could help by implementing a display on frame count
which would not reset, but would be out of order if one starts to seek :(

cheers,
Alex