[MPlayer-users] mencode perfect rip

Alexander Roalter alex at roalter.it
Sun Sep 24 11:54:39 CEST 2006

Rashkae wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 09:37:29PM -0700, Grant wrote:
>> I'm trying to rip a DVD with perfect quality before I experiment with
>> compression.  I'm using the following but I think I'm seeing
>> artifacts:
>>
>> mencode dvd://1 -o poseidon.avi -oac copy -ovc copy
>
> I like:
>
> mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile poseidon.vob
>
> You'll have to use vlc instead if you try to rip any of the movies protected by Sony's Across copy protection.

If vlc can do it (and even mplayer's dvdnav), why isn't the other DVD
reading algorithm not working regularly on dvds?

It seems to me, that there's a DVD reading which is used for normal DVD
reading (dvd://...), but which is fooled by the Arccos crap.

DVDnav does not have problems with such DVDs, so I guess it's why they
implement a different algorithm altogether, which uses the cell
navigation info (one thing I presume the ordinary algo doesn't) to
maneuver around the messy sectors.
Three big drawbacks of dvdnav are a) you have to get through the menus
(as dvdnav://x for a specific title x does not always work - at least
what I found) b) you cannot dump it and c) when running over chapter
marks, the picture freezes/jumps/has blocking artifacts for a short
moment (although theses chapter marks are on unprotected areas of the
disc, jumping directly to this position with ordinary dvdplay does not
show these hickups).

Would it be possible to merge the cell navigation to the normal DVD
reading and thus enabling mplayer to play any kind of DVD protection
known this far?

cheers,
Alex