[MPlayer-users] about film2pal telecine

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Mon Sep 25 22:42:48 CEST 2006

Giacomo Comes wrote:

>Hi,
>I have been experimenting with the film2pal mpeg telecining option.
>So far I have not found any problem with the option itself.
>But I did have some trouble processing mpeg telecined with film2pal.
>
>For example, if I copy a film2pal mpeg with:
>
>mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -ovc copy -noskip -o out.mpg in.mpg -oac copy
>
>the copy work but the last seconds of the movie are missing.

do you  mean that  the video is missing or that it's simply advanced ?

>To be more precise, if
>T is the duration of in.mpg, the duration of out.mpg is about T*24/25.

it's to be expected: telecining is about changing the playback speed
without adding (or removing) physical frames

>Experimenting, I have found that if I use the following command:
>
>mencoder -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -ovc copy -noskip -o out.mpg in.mpg -ofps 24000/1001 -mc 0 -oac copy
>
>then the copy is perfect.
>So if I know in advance that the mpeg is film2pal telecined, I can use the correct
>options for a perfect copy.
>The problem, so far, is that I have found no way to detect a film2pal
>telecined movie. With the classic NTSC telecined movie mplayer shows the message:
>
>demux_mpg: 24000/1001fps progressive NTSC content detected, switching framerate.
>
>that can be used to identify NTSC telecined mpegs.
>But no such message is displayed for film2pal mpegs. Is there any way to identify
>a film2pal telecined mpeg? It would be enough if mplayer showed the switching
>framerate message also for the film2pal mpegs.
>
>Giacomo

it's not possible, because film2pal doesn't use the classical 3:2
pulldown pattern
that mplayer can recognize (and appropriate the code is not so easy)