[MPlayer-users] Using mplayer without audio

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Sep 25 23:17:51 CEST 2006

Robert La Ferla wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2006, at 9:41 PM, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Robert La Ferla wrote:
>>
>>> I need to preview video on a system that does not have an audio
>>> card. However, mplayer crashes when it can't open the audio
>>> device. I expected it to just not play the audio.  BTW - I did
>>> try installing an audio card in this server but ran into IRQ
>>> issues with the other cards.  While I may still pursue installing
>>> one, I would like to get mplayer working without one.  Ideas?
>>
>> Try either '-nosound' (to proceed as if the file had no sound at
>> all) or '-ao null' (to "play" audio into /dev/null rather than
>> actually outputting it). Or both, if you prefer - I doubt it would
>> hurt  anything.
>>
>> This is really a "RTFM" question...
>
> No.  I read the manual and know about those options.  mplayer
> shouldn't crash when there's no sound card present.

Well, this will still "get mplayer working without one", which is what
you requested - but still, you're right, it shouldn't crash.

In that case, please send in a proper bug report (with gdb trace and so
forth), preferably to the requested bug reporting location - as it tells
you about every time it crashes. (Also, since you didn't indicate what
version of MPlayer you're using: please make sure to try the latest SVN
version before sending a bug report, to make sure that it hasn't been
fixed already.)

As a separate and comparatively minor matter, please line-wrap your
outgoing E-mails correctly. Thank you.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.