[MPlayer-users] Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] [Q] How to build a universal binary for, the Mac OS X?

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 09:33:23 CEST 2006

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: JongAm Park <joshua_park2006-pub at yahoo.com>
To: mplayer-dev-eng at mplayerhq.hu
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:57:59 -0700
Subject: Re: [MPlayer-dev-eng] [Q] How to build a universal binary
for, the Mac OS X?
Wow!

Did I set fire in this mailing list?
I am the one who asked this question, but I didn't expect that it would
be discussed this hotly.

By the way, according to some people, this "build" issue is not "dev" issue.
So, why don't we talk it at... Ah.. Is there any forum available on the
mplayer web site?

Some people argue that the MacOS X portion in the market is small, and
few people reported bugs on the MacOS X platform. He seems to say, "Why
bother?"
However, I believe there are a lot of Mac users who use the mplayer on
their Macs.
On Windows, most end-users use the Windows Media player. ( I don't have
statistical data with me about this. However most of people I know in
Korean web BBS only cares about the Windows Media Player, or the GOM
player.)  However, Mac users are adventurous. They use VLC, mplayerOS X,
Celluo and so on. So, "let's take care of big pies only" doesn't sound
reasonable. Probably the most actual users of the mplayer may not be
Windows users.

I was a member of a Korean Macintosh user group, http://www.maczoo.com.
There are lots of people who use the mplayer and the VLC. People have
problems with sub titles, especially the smi format, for example. I know
that their concerns are mostly wrong.
They don't understand text encoding well. Although they act like
professionals, but they are not.
However, they show the tendency of end users you can meet everyday.
They have many "I want this" for media players on Mac. However they are
not comfortable in discussing in English. So, they can't give you guys
lots of feedback.

Also, unlike users on Linux, the distinction of developers and end users
are clear on Mac.
As a Linux user, I build open source codes for personal use. I make a
living by writing codes.
However, I work usually with the Windows, although I also write codes on
Unix environment.
Many Linux users so far seem to be similar to me.
They know how to build the source code. So, they may give feedback to
open source community easily. However, pure end-users don't. They feel
headache when they look at source codes. They don't know how to download
through SVN, at least.
So, they can't feedback to "dev" mailing list. With similar reason, they
can't to the "users" mailing list also. "mailing list" is too difficult
to them. They only open a web browsers and call it "doing internet"!.
Although they complain about the performance or some glitches of the
Windows Network neighborhood, or SAMBA, they don't use the good and old FTP.
They are that kind of people. Do you expect that they can "subscribe"
mailing list which only contains text which looks boring, and give feedback?
Although the end users pretend to be a software expert, they are not.
So, they have lots of complaints about programs they use, but they don't
give feedback to their developers.
So, this can be one reason that there are few feedback from Mac OS X
users. ( Or others also. )
How about Windows users? Well.. the default build generate "DOS"
mplayer. So, they may not have as much interest as Linux users have in
this project. Personally I use the VLC on my Windows machine. Do they
give lots of feedback? ( I am just asking. )
So, although the Mac has small market share, there can be many more
users than you think.
So, just disregarding them may be a bad idea.
Although the pie for the Windows is the biggest one in the market, how
many of them use the mplayer? Probably not so many.. I assume that most
users of this mplayer are Linux users.
So, the actual constitution for the mplayer users can be different from
the that for OS.
So, let's think about this issue more logically, OK?

And.. this is not "dev" issue. :)