[MPlayer-users] Any developer here ???

Christian Tsotras 7070 at free.fr
Thu Sep 28 08:35:19 CEST 2006

On Thursday 28 September 2006 00:38, Corey Hickey wrote:
> Christian Tsotras wrote:
> > Here are the results sniffed on a windows PC where the stream works
> > perfectly with windows media player (connection done through a proxy):
> >   http://christian.tsotras.free.fr/mplayer/earthcam.html
> >   http://christian.tsotras.free.fr/mplayer/earthcam_hexdump.html
>
> Interesting. It appears that the server sends a header that indicates
> the file has a playlist. WMP then asks the server for the first item in
> the playlist. I can't tell what happens next; your logs don't go far
> enough.

Here are two graphs of this TCP connection:
http://christian.tsotras.free.fr/mplayer/
(the two PNG files)

The throughput and the time-sequence graphs show that the capture lasts 170
seconds (I stopped it myself), so the streams following the advertisement are
embedded in this "binary stream". No new request in clear text.

I've also put online in this same URL the original tcpdump trace. Maybe you
could play with it.

> Either:
>
> (a) The server finishes sending the first item and WMP requests the second.
>
> -or-
>
> (b) The server finishes sending the first item and sends the second
> automatically.

Yes, I think it's (b), and maybe it filters the client program: windows OK,
anything else: bye bye.

I tried to play with mplayer sending the "NSPlayer..." header in his request,
but no result. I did not worked a very long time on it to be sure to have
tested all possibilities though ...

> I poked around a little bit with netcat, but I wasn't able to send the
> server a request it liked. I'm out of time for now. Here's an
> interesting page:
>
> http://avifile.sourceforge.net/asf-1.0.htm

Interesting. But as you said, is this problem worth the time spent for only a
few users ?

Thanks for your help.

I've no idea what I could do more, except re-learn C for one year, and modify
mplayer's code for another year.   :-/

> Also, the header indicates that the name of the first playlist entry is
> ecpromo.wmv.
[...]

Regards.

--