[MPlayer-users] Re: mplayer command line for picture quality

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Sep 30 16:43:29 CEST 2006

On Saturday, 30 September 2006 at 16:31, Grant wrote:
> >> mplayer is compiled with nvidia support.  Will it automatically put
> >> the nvidia driver to use when it's using xv?
> >
> >XV is XV.  It has everything to do with your X11 driver, and nothing to
> >do with MPlayer.  What are you expecting MPlayer to do?
>
> I know that my Nvidia GeForce 6200 video card has special provisions
> for DVD playback called PureVideo

I don't really know what PV is, but the only things X11 can take advantage
of are XVideo and XvMC acceleration. The former is implemented in the
both the open nv driver and the one below...

> and I'm trying to make sure mplayer is taking advantage of that if it
> can.  I'm using the binary driver from Nvidia.

... and the latter is implemented only in the binary nvidia driver.

> Any tips on improving picture quality?  My TV can do 1366x768 and the
> picture seems to be scaling automatically when put into fullscreen
> mode.

Upscaling won't get you any more quality. XVideo (-vo xv) uses hardware
scaling. You can alternatively try the OpenGL output (-vo gl:yuv=N) to
see if the OpenGL scaler is more to your liking.

Regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/