[MPlayer-users] Understanding restrictions on use of MPlayer in "systems"

Warrick Wilson guywithdogs at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 2 07:46:04 CEST 2007

I don't mean to start a flame war - I really hadn't understood that there
was a Windows version of MPlayer until today. I'd seen it recommended on
Linux mailing lists and forums, but never clued in to the Windows version.
So I've spent much of the day playing with it, and reading documentation and
manpages and trying different things out. Much different than trying to
coerce Windows Media Player into doing some of the same things...

However, my question relates to the restrictions on use of MPlayer due to
its GPL license. I've spent some time reading the various FAQs and searching
on Google for clarifications.

Basically, it looks to me like MPlayer would be a great tool in a systems
integration project I have. It's a commercial thing, where my client wants
to maintain control of the solution. Part of the needed solution is some
playback functionality, for which I'd originally thought I'd be using
Windows Media Player embedded in a program that I'd write. The major part of
what the project does is the creation of a playlist (though that's a much
simpler description than what's really going on). The playback of the
playlist isn't really a "key part" - there are a few ways to do that part.

So, back to my question: What's the point at which the integration/usage of
MPlayer becomes "too integral" so that I'd be required to GPL the entire
solution? Please note: I'm not expecting legal advice from the list.
However, I'd appreciate pointers to articles or FAQs that deal with this as
explicitly as possible. Basically, if it's too gray, I'll give up on the
idea of using MPlayer further and pursue a different approach. But if it's
not too extreme to consider using it, then it might save me some work. I
could ask my own lawyer, I know, but he'd end up charging me for the time
he'd spend asking the same question on his lawyer lists. If I can get
something that says "no, you can't do it because..." then you'll have saved
me some money. If my outline seems OK with respect to the use of GPL
programs "at arm's length" with commercial software, then maybe it's worth
the money for my lawyer's opinion, too.

Thanks for the tool, and your help.