[MPlayer-users] Re: SVN Compilation in Win XP (MinGW)

Alexander Bokovikov openworld at uralweb.ru
Mon Apr 2 19:00:54 CEST 2007

>John Brown wrote:

> Anyway, MSYS includes its own version of "make". This is also called
> make.exe and installed in the MSYS bin directory

Yes, you're correct! Moreover, MSYS "knows" how to call it! In fact I have
none of bin directories now in my PATH variable, and nevertheless MSYS works
nice. It compiles and installs all modules. It looks like it remembers all
paths (to its own files and to MinGW files). It asked me where MINGW is
located during installation, so it saved that my answer and now uses it.
Nevertheless it would be just correct to mention that message (which I told
about) in the "howto" manual.

> I am not sure. It may be your <CR> issue again. If /mingw/lib/libogg.a and
> /mingw/include/ogg/ directory containing ogg.h and others exists, then it
> worked.

Yes, these files are in places. The error was in "configure" script, but
"make" and "make install" have paased OK.

> Yes, it is very slow. When I first compiled MPlayer on Linux, the
> configure
> script finished in 12 seconds. It is not as quick as that now,  because I
> have enabled a number of X-Windows related options. I have never timed it
> on
> Windows, but it is *much* longer. I only timed it on Linux because I was
> amazed that it ran so quickly.

On my P-III/850 each "configure" script took about 10 to 20 minutes. Now
I've installed all this stuff into my Intel C2D MacBook with Windows
installed and here the scipts are working just as you talked about Linux :)

> To get up and running quickly, you can skip the installation of the
> various
> libraries mentioned in the Mingw HOWTO, and just try to compile MPlayer
> right now. As I said, the libraries are optional. Once you have the binary
> codecs installed, MPlayer and MEncoder will still be able to do most
> things.

I'd like to compile MEncoder. I don't care too much about MPlayer itself,
because I don't use it now, though I'd use it in Mac OS, where I can't see
MPEG-4 movies now, because QT does not recognize DiVX/XVID codecs.

But my main concern now is to compile MEncoder in Windows with as many
"input" formats as possible now, and with at least FLV format as output. I'd
appreciate it if you'll let me know what options and external
libraries/packages should I use for that. Do JPEG/PNG/GIF libraries a matter
here? AFAIU, ZLib is needed for some MOV's import, right? And what other
packages are? Is H264 required to have H264 decoding ability? Is it not
included into inner codecs?

> Other libraries are needed for encoding movies, not playing them. I
> believe
> that twolame/toolame and xvid are in this category, but don't quote me.

Lame may be required by MEncoder to produce MP3 soundtrack, Isn't it
correct? But I'm not sure about other libraries, so your clarifications help
me a lot.

Will try to make MPlayer without further libraries attaching... We'll see
what we'll get...

Also, what are binary codecs for? Are they for MEncoder too or they're just
for MPlayer? Should I install the to a target machine in order have the
ability for MEncoder to read several formats?

Thanks.