[MPlayer-users] [Bug] Choppy video in mplayer svn

Mrc Gran mrc.gran at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 21:45:49 CEST 2007

Hi, Jorge, thanks for your reply.

I believe that the -cache 4096 option works for that specific video because
it is very small, just a few seconds, so all of it is cached on disk before
it is played by mplayer.

Could you please try this instead?
<http://playervideo.globo.com/webmedia/GMCMidiaASX?midiaId=533768%7Cbanda=N%7Cext.asx>mplayer
-playlist "
http://playervideo.globo.com/webmedia/GMCMidiaASX?midiaId=650349|banda=N|ext.asx"
-cache 4096

It lasts around 10min, and the cache option doesn't work for me in this
case. What I see is that the few initial seconds work fine, then it looks
like the cache on disk 'exhausts' and the chopping/stuttering starts. Using
it without the cache option makes the choppiness present from the very
beginning.

This choppiness is *not* present, for instance, in totem (2.18.1)+xinelib(
1.1.4). Totem-xine uses a very small buffer (~1mb), but it plays fine all
the 10min of video, without problem.  (just like windows media player does).

totem "
http://playervideo.globo.com/webmedia/GMCMidiaASX?midiaId=650349|banda=N|ext.asx
"

Do you observe the same behaviour as I do?

--
It seems that the *cache* option in mplayer, somehow, is fundamentally
different from the *buffer*  of totem and wmp: for some reason, totem and

Regards,
Mrc.