[MPlayer-users] Problem with Mplayer on Win95

Michael Powell mlp at fewpb.net
Sun Apr 8 00:39:25 CEST 2007

I recently installed the pre-compiled binaries for mplayer for Win9x on two
machines.

On the Win98SE machine, the player works great!  However, it will not run
under my copy of Win95(b).  I have looked through the docs pages, and searched
the web, and can't find anything that indicates that it should or should not
work under 95.  Here is a paraphrase of the error I am receiving:

vo_directx (some text about the error being FATAL)
failed getting proc address: DirectrDrawCreateFx

My Win95 box has DirectX 5, and SiS 5597/5598 video.  I have tried using
other -vo options, with various other errors encountered.  It seemed to
get further when I requested 'gl2', instead of the default.

I attempted to upgrade DirectX (if that'd help), and couldn't find a
more up-to-date version (although I am pretty sure there are newer
versions that will run under 95).  Also, I tried a couple of the GUI's that
are out there.  One said it worked with 95, but then reported that MSIMG32.DLL,
which didn't not become a part of Windows until Win98, was missing.  I
assume that means that it (Ruleplayer) does not work with Win95.

I also looked for some OpenGL2 drivers, but couldn't find any.

I am assuming I am doing something wrong, and am hoping someone can
point out what it is.  ;-)

Thanks!

P.S.  It seems to do this with multiple format files (i.e. WMV, AVI, etc.).