[MPlayer-users] Occasional tinny sound on radio/TV streams.

Tom Brinkman tbrinkman at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 9 16:25:41 CEST 2007

On Sunday 08 April 2007, cga2000 wrote:
> Just curious..
>
> I mostly use mplayer to listen to radio streams and occasionally
> I get a badly distorted sound with a metallic resonance
> especially noticeable on solo piano pieces.
>
> I initially thought it might be a problem with my inexpensive
> "sound system" - a no-brand thingy that I paid $19.95 for in
> CompUSA .. but I eventually found that if I CTRL-C out and
> restart the problem goes away.
>
> As far as I can tell once it "goes away" it doesn't come back.
>
> I mostly listen to the NY Times' WQXR station, which has a
> reputation for high quality broadcasts .. so I'm pretty sure it
> has nothing to do with them.
>
> If anyone has experienced a similar phenomenon and figured out
> what was causing it it, I would be interested.
>
> Thanks,
> cga

   I take it your usin the latest SVN?  I update daily. No clue as
to why, but I've noticed over the past several weeks the "tinny"
sound in some movies you speak of.  I don't play much audio usin
mplayer.  Simply usin the <- -> keys, or q(uit) an restart, often
resumes normal sound.  I figured it was within the file, not
mplayer, or my hardware (intergrated AD-1980 chip, ac97, alsa, $50
Altec-Lansing subwoofer system).
--
    Tom Brinkman                        Corpus Christi, Texas