[MPlayer-users] Preparing video for editing in Adobe Premiere

Ian Young ian.greenleaf at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 06:49:25 CEST 2007

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can give me advice on a project I'm working on.
I have some .vob files ripped from DVDs, and I'm trying to get them into a
form that I can edit in Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 (say what you like about
Premiere, it's what I'm familiar with and I don't have the spare time to
learn a new platform right now).  I've been trying to convert them into raw
format so that I don't have to worry about quality issues, but as of yet
Adobe refuses to import any of the files I've created (it just hangs on the
importing screen). I have gotten a file to play properly in VirtualDub, so I
must not be doing everything wrong, but I'm hoping you all can give me
advice on how to modify the options I pass to mencoder to create a more
generic video file.  I do want to avoid lossy compressing on the video
stream if at all possible at this point, since I will be compressing later
and have heard that multiple compressions causes quality issues. Disk space
is not too much of an issue, so raw files or something similar will work
fine.  Below is the command I arrived at after reading the documentation and
playing around a bit:

mencoder inmovie.vob -o raw/outmovie.avi -ovc raw -vf yuy2 -oac lavc

Thanks in advance,
Ian