[MPlayer-users] Re: -vo xv with bpp 16 unsupported?

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Tue Apr 10 17:38:30 CEST 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 08:09:48AM -0700, Adam Frank wrote:
> Here's the skinny of it:
> http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:AHvtqDb-oCMJ:blog.sontek.net/archive/2007/04/04/Error-BadAlloc-insufficient-resources-for-operation.aspx+BadAlloc+(insufficient+resources+for+operation)&hl=en&client=firefox&strip=1

thanks

> If you are getting the error Error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources
> for operation)" on intel 810 or other integrated video cards you can
> add these lines to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf under the device section:

problem is that I'm running an MGA G200 AGP card, and the mga module
does not appear to have similar options.

just to be clear, videos that open fine at 24bpp do not open without
getting this error at 16bpp, running at the same desktop res.  So it's
not as though I'm attempting to open videos with a resolution beyond
what the overlay hardware (and video memory) can handle.

xv will open in 16bpp if I add "-vf scale=[postage_stamp_tiny]".

I wouldn't expect the mga module to see different amounts of videoram
avaible at 16bpp from what it sees at 24bpp (although that'll be
something I'll check next).  opening an xvideo resource in 16bpp should
not require more memory than what it takes in 24bpp, unless some
calulations xorg is making are seriously incorrect.