[MPlayer-users] P2PTV and MPEG1/2 (need help)

jeff han bhan11 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 09:29:01 CEST 2007

Hi,
    my situation is like this, I need to transcode in near real time a
network feed from ASF container (wma audio and wmv9 video codec) to
mpeg1/2/4 format

to try to make the P2P TV working on my D-Link DSM-320 hardware media player

1. the network feed is ready at  (http://localhost:port/tv.asf)
2. the dsm320 mediaplayer doesn't support ASF format
3. so I have to transcode it to MPEG1/2/4 format

I have no problem to transcode it to above formats by segments (at the end
of each transcoding, according to my poor knowledge of AVI container format,
it will write the header and index information at end)

DSM320 seems refuse to play AVI file without index information from the file
(which is understandble, it suppose to support forward and backward button
etc)

I am not quite familiar with the MPEG1/MPEG2 Program Stream (and ES), dsm320
also refuse to play MPEG1/2 files without index informaton (such as those
transcoded file purposely interrupted without the chance by mencode to write
the header and index information at end)

Can any of you guys out there, answer my (maybe too silly) question?

1. does MPEG1/MPEG2 mandate the index information in the PS/ES?
2. is it doable to transcode ASF file in real time by mencoder to dsm320
playable MPEG1/MPEG2?
3. if the index informaton is mandatory in MPEG1/2,  is there a workaound?
4. or my thought is totally wrong?

bottom line is:

I have a stream of ASF, I want to transcode it in real time (well, maybe a
bit delay) and feed it to dsm320 hardware mediaplayer

Please help!

Thanks!