[MPlayer-users] problem encoding a compliant DVD from an XviD source movie

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Sun Apr 15 15:48:05 CEST 2007

On Sat, Apr 14, 2007 at 08:22:58PM -0300, Prabu(A.G.Oliveira) wrote:
> Hi friends from Mplayer&Mencoder list!!!
>
> I'm a beginner and I've been trying hard (without sucess) to encode some
> movies to see on TV.
>
> for example, one of my source movie is:
>
> Lost_S03_E01.avi - VIDEO:  [XVID]  608x336  24bpp  23.976 fps  1019.6
> kbps (124.5 kbyte/s
>
> And I would like to put it on a dvd (with subtitles) to watch on tv.
>

> After having gone several times through the man pages an some others
> docs on the net, I was confident thinking having understood:
>
>      - About pixel/display aspec ratio matters.
>      - About the meaning of  720x480 NTSC DVD requirements and why a
>        640x480 square pixel should be streched (scaled) to
>        720x480 in order to make a compliant DVD frame....
>
> but sadly, my tests are telling me that I didnt!

[snip]

> So please, would some one give a hand ?!

In the TOOLS directory of the MPlayer source there is a script
called encode2mpeglight. Make the mpeg with it and it will be watchable
on your dvd player.

Use a the command line like:

encode2mpeglight -o <your name> <your source> -n n -dvd -encode 6:3:2 -mpegfixaspect
and you are done.
Add the options -subfps, -sub, -subfont-text-scale as needed in order to
render the subtitles in the mpeg.
If you add the option -debug you will see in the log file the command line used
to create the mpeg. You can learn then how to make yourself a proper mencoder command line.

Ciao
Giacomo