[MPlayer-users] Volume too loud in converted wav files

Hal Vaughan hal at thresholddigital.com
Mon Apr 16 02:15:15 CEST 2007

On Sunday 15 April 2007 18:43, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On Sunday 15 April 2007 5:15 pm, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I have some DVDs that have music I want to listen to in my CD
> > player.
>
> Hello Hal,
>
> I don't know why you are complicating your life. If you just want to
> extract the audio from a DVD so you can later burn it on a CD-R
> (Audio CD) do this:
>
> mplayer dvd://1 -chapter 3 -ao pcm:fast:file=output.wav

I changed this to specify the .vob file I was using as a source on my
hard drive instead of specifying the DVD.  This time I got a .wav file
as output that was about 320KB.  When I did it the other way
(.vob->.avi->.wav), the file was 165MB.

Why is there such a difference in file sizes?

I've also noticed the sound was still "maxed out" on this file, but I
didn't get the pops and clicks.  Why?  (And, btw, I got the clicks and
such on the other .wav files whether I specified it change the output
sampling to 44.1 Khz or not.)

Thanks for the help!  It just creates more questions for me!

Hal