[MPlayer-users] trying to convert MJPEG

Steve Kleene skmpl at syrano.acb.uc.edu
Mon Apr 16 03:21:10 CEST 2007

> you are producing AVI files with the name lizard.mpg

Woops.  Thanks for catching my stupid mistake.  I accidentally deleted the
lines that specified the container.  The commands I had intended to test are:

mencoder lizard.avi \
  -oac twolame -twolameopts br=192 -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 \
  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1000:mbd=2:trell:vpass=1 \
  -of rawvideo \
  -o /dev/null

mencoder lizard.avi \
  -oac twolame -twolameopts br=192 -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 \
  -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=1000:mbd=2:trell:vpass=2 \
  -of lavf -lavfopts format=mpg:i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames \
  -o lizard.mpg

I just tested these and got a file that still failed on XP.  The audio was
fine.  There was video, but it was very defective (blotches of color all
over).

With one difference, I have been using the commands shown above successfully
to rip files from DVD to MPEG, and they play fine on XP.  The one difference
is that the second lines read just "-oac twolame".  I don't understand why
the commands above (modified for audio parameters supported by twolame) don't
work to convert the avi file (from an older video camera) to MPEG.

I haven't had a chance yet to try the other approaches that were suggested.
In any case, I'm interested to know why the commands above are failing.