[MPlayer-users] Re: problem encoding a compliant DVD from an XviD source movie

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Mon Apr 16 05:24:43 CEST 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 11:11:55PM -0300, Prabu(A.G.Oliveira) wrote:

> John Brown wrote:
>
> >I normally perform my calculations as follows ......
> >
> >(...) In short I would use the following options:
> >
> >-vf crop=592:336,scale=672:336,expand=720:480,harddup -lavcopts
> >vcodec=mpeg2video:...:aspect=4/3:...
> >
> ----------------------------------
> Giacomo Comes wrote:
>
> >In the TOOLS directory of the MPlayer source there is a script
> >called encode2mpeglight. Make the mpeg with it and it will be watchable
> >on your dvd player.
> >
> >Use a the command line like:
> >
> >encode2mpeglight -o <your name> <your source> -n n -dvd -encode 6:3:2
> >-mpegfixaspect and you are done.
>

> Hi everybody!!  thanks a lot for your attention!!
>
> specially you guys -->    John and  Giacomo.
>
> I have spent this Sunday studding both of your suggestions to solve my
> problem:
>
> I've found the Giacomo's script, a very good tool and I'll keep it, but
> even so,
> I still could not achieve the aimed result!
> I'm certain that it must have created a compliant DVD otherwise it would
> not play,
> but I still had an image on TV displayed beyond the screen dimensions.
> Too big!
> loosing information on top, right, bottom, and left sides, being impossible
> to see  the subtitles. (!? Mistery!! do I blame the DVD player or the
> TV-set ?!)

None of them. It's normal that the TV does not show the edge of the video.
Depending of the TV you can miss between 5 and 10% of the video image.

You can overcome this problem with encode2mpeglight using the option
-overscan like:
  -overscan 5
or
  -overscan 10

You can experiment with several values of the argument and use the one
that satisfies you.

Giacomo